THE PROBLEMS OF THE ECOLOGICAL EDUCATION IN UKRAINIAN HIGHSCHOOL
Chorna A.V., Chornyi O.A.,
Dneprodzerzhinsk state technical university,
Awareness raising and training in the field of ecology, and the development of a cultural and integral ecological outlook is a decisive factor in overcoming the present global ecological crisis. Therefore ecological education is one of the priority areas of the state policy.
In the last ten years the sharp problem was shown, it is closely associated with high school in Ukraine . Economical and political problems in the country not permit our education system to rival with dignity in this field. And this is concerned not only West high school systems but even Russians. At first of all it makes place in the area of ecological education. The ecology, like independent and self-reliant science was raised comparatively not so long time ago and it was sufficiently active developed in last decades.
So many goods our Ukrainian scientists and methodists did in the field of high school ecological education. For example the course “Principles of Ecology” was introduced as an obligatory normative educational discipline of the cycle of naturalistic, humanitarian and socio-economic disciplines read at higher educational institutions. The list of trends and specialties also includes such courses as “Ecology and Environment Protection”. The state standard in specialty 0708 “Ecology” has been prepared as well.
But there are formed some problems in this area, and I would like to draw the particular attention on it.
– insufficiency of the financing, that was referred, but it isn’t the keystone;
– deficiency of the professional skilled personnel and the institutes of higher education uninterestedness in questions of training the young cadres. The enquiry is soviet pedagogical survivals of the Ukrainian high school. It’s remained in it worst traditions. Scientific researches and methodical innovations are producing only for accounting on paper. The relations with plants and factories was destroyed, and so, there are absented actual formulation of the real ecological problems. So many old managers in pensionable age are in scientific and pedagogical organization; they impede progress and prevent to develop the young specialists. The young workers don’t find self-actualization and immigrate in another county or find themselves in some else areas. But exactly young people hold by sufficient knowledge and capable to adopt foreign practices .
– obsolescent education system in the institutes of higher education. In last times Ukraine changed it education system to Bolognese system. This system is more modern, powerful and the most effective in nowadays. But it was produced like a pro forma only for paper; in the real life Ukrainian institutes particularly nothing have changed. The institutes of higher education, and it managers only report to Ministry about their grand achievements and nothing to do. And in Ministry are same post soviet managers, who also don’t want anything to change . They are not to test and inspect institutes properly and with due attention like a hoodwinkers.
– ignoring by ecological problems in Ukraine and it was spilled over into the ecological education problems. Whereas nowadays biosphere’s status, technical institutes of higher education must to train specialists that will make a reasonable ecological decisions 
What can be done to improve the environmental teaching of students in the near future will impersonate the ecological education system?
The answer to this question can give some works and scientific-methodical developments of Ukrainian scientists, for example [1,4,5]. In particular, many West environmentalists, like Judy Braus, see one of the ways to start the "Introduction" method . In turn I would like to append that modern ecology is synthetic science and has a multidisciplinary nature. Ecological knowledge at school is formed mainly on the lessons of biology and geography. It should be noted that the potential of other natural objects are not fully implemented. However, there would be more productive than intersubject links among scientific subjects, the clearer and fuller picture will be objectively valid laws of nature and society .
1. Скребець В.О. Екологічна свідомість: Історичний розвиток, сучасний стан, психологична діагностика. – Чернигів, 1997. – 66 с.
2. Екологічна освіта: зміст, методика, вітчизняний і зарубіжний досвід // Біологія і хімія в школі(спеціальний випуск). – 1999. - № 6. – 54 с.
3. Проблемы создания единой системы экологического образования и воспитания в Украине : международная научно-практическая конференция (1994; Харьков) : материалы / АПН Украины, Украинская экологическая академия наук, Харьковский государственный университет им. А.М. Горького ; Собр., ред., предисл. Владимир Ефимович Некос. – Харків: Издательство ХГУ, 1994 . – 194 с.
4. А.Г. Шапарь, А.И. Кораблева, Л.Г. Чесанов / Пути повышения качества непрерывного экологического образования в системе «Средняя школа - ВУЗ» Екологія і природокористування. – Днепропетровск, 2003, Випуск 6, С 66-70.
5. Браус Д., Вуд Д., Герман М., Вилсон Э. Экологическое образование в школе(главы из книги).- Киев: Информагенство «Эхо-Восток», 1995.- 60 с.